Monday, June 27, 2005

Summertime Reading

It's summer. School's out and time to soak up some sun and listen to the waves lapping up on the shore. What to bring along? Hmmm. The salty air will wreck havoc on those old manuscripts (won't even tell you what the suntan lotion does to them), so nothing published before 2003, nor ones that I'm waiting to get published. That limits my list to ten.

1. Peter S. Onuf and Eliga Gould's Empire and Nation : The American Revolution in the Atlantic World (Anglo-America in the Transatlantic World) (Johns Hopkins U. Press; 1993). I've been an admirer of Onuf's works on Jefferson for some time; Jefferson's Empire and Jeffersonian Legacies are two of my favorites. The most interesting recent writings on the American Revolution have focused on the transatlantic nature of the Revolution, which has been something I've looked at since Robert R. Palmer's brilliant Age of the Democratic Revolution first came out. Very curious about Onuf's take on the subject.

2. Philip S. Gorski's The Disciplinary Revolution: Calvinism and the Rise of the State in Early Modern Europe (Chicago: U. of Chicago Press, 2003). This work is a dialectical analysis of the rise of the modern state in Europe during 1500-1700 a.d. (shades of Chris Sciabarra), focusing mainly on the Dutch and German experiences. What he does remarkably well is place religion within this context, pointing out how Calvinism influenced social discipline and allowed for forms of social control to strengthen both the ecclesiastical polity and the political realm. I've always felt that the Rothbardian line about Pre-, Post- and whatever else Millennialism misses the mark on the role of religion on politics, and Gorski fills in the gaps and integrates ecclesiastical effects on political society in a much clearer manner. Almost done reading this. Couldn't wait.

3. John E. Moser's Right Turn: John T. Flynn and the Transformation of American Liberalism (New York: NYU Press; 2005). I've read some of Moser's previous essays and expect to find an accurate understanding of both Flynn and classical liberalism with, hopefully, some perceptive insights.

4. Robert Lomas' Freemasonry and the Birth of Modern Science (Gloucester: Fair Winds Press; 2003). The reviewers say that it details the history of the rise of The Royal Society under Charles II through the efforts of Robert Boyle, Christopher Wren and, primarily, Sir Robert Moray. And yes, it probably has some sort of claims for Masonic involvement or conspiracy or some such, but it may well have a few gems of insights here and there.

5. Before Robert V. Andelson's untimely death, he edited the two volume Critics of Henry George: an Appraisal of Their Structures on Progress and Poverty (Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing; 2003-4). This is a wonderful compilation, many written by libertarians, of examining the claims of the critics of Henry George. Included are commentaries on Individualist-Anarchism, F.A. Hayek, Spencer Heath, Murray Rothbard and Robert LeFevre, as well as essays on most major economists and many minor ones. A lot of good material here.

6. Gale Ahrens' Lucy Parsons: Freedom, Equality & Solidarity, Writings & Speeches 1878-1937 (Chicago: Charles H. Kerr Publishing Co.; 2004). The three major women in the anarchist movement at the turn of the last century were Emma Goldman, Voltairine de Cleyre and Lucy Parsons. Goldman and de Cleyre have had numerous collections of their essays available and are currently in print. Only Parsons has not had her writings available save in a few collections of anarchist or feminist writings. Now, with this publication, this has changed, and an updated biography (albeit too short) is provided by the editor. For those interested in anarchist activism and thought, this is a valuable asset.

7. Sharon Presley and Crispin Sartwell's Exquisite Rebel: the Essays of Voltairine de Cleyre--Anarchist, Feminist, Genius (Albany: SUNY Press; 2005). Along with The Voltairine de Cleyre Reader and Gates of Freedom : Voltairine de Cleyre and the Revolution of the Mind, this year has been a phenomenal one for de Cleyre collections. Because Exquisite Rebel contains an essay on de Cleyre by Presley, whom I've always respected as a libertarian feminist, I've decided to start with this one. Why are there so many books on de Cleyre? Because she was a great writer and poet. She deserves the acclaim.

8. Jessica Warner's John the Painter: Terrorist of the American Revolution (New York: Thunder's Mouth Press; 2004) When the Scot and former emigre to America, John Aikens, set fire to the Royal Navy dockyards of Portsmouth and Bristol, he brought the American Revolution home to the British. The terrorists of yesterday are forgotten today. This is the story of one.

9. Michael R. Hill and Susan Hoecker-Drysdale's Harriet Martineau: Theoretical & Methodological Perspectives (New York: Routledge; 2003). A collection of essays on Martineau's life and theories of sociology covering many aspects of her voluminous writings, from history to disability. I wish this had been available years ago when I first studied Martineau.

10. Ray Raphael's The First American Revolution: Before Lexington and Concord (New York: the New Press; 2003). Raphael argues that the American Revolution began in small communities in which control by the British authorities had already been lost to Americans and that the later skirmishes were attempts by the British to take back control. The transfer of political authority to the American patriots by 1774 (and the loss by the British) was the real revolution making the later clash in April 1775 a British counter-revolution to regain lost territory. Interesting thesis and I'm looking forward to reading this work.

OK, there's my top 10. Any other suggestions for this summer?

Just a thought.
Just Ken

cross-posted at Liberty & Power Blog
CLASSical Liberalism

24 Comments:

Blogger wholesale said...

Do you agree with that?


-The wholesale man

10:45 AM  
Blogger The Answer Man said...

The ONLY Website in the World That Teaches You How to Order A Brand-New, Custom-Built Dream House, And Pay An Average 42% LESS Than You Could Sell It For On The Market. No Limit To House Size Or Location.

Click Here For More Information



Mortgage Lender
Mortgage Lender
Mortgage Lender
Mortgage Lender
Mortgage Lender
Mortgage Lender
Mortgage Lender
Mortgage Lender
Mortgage Lender
Mortgage Lender

1:31 PM  
Blogger Tom Naka said...

Your blog is excellent - keep it up! Don't miss visiting this site about health food store for sale
. It pretty much covers health food store for sale
related stuff.

5:08 PM  
Blogger selfpublishingtips said...

learn about self publishing comic
at: self publishing comic
Info

2:09 PM  
Blogger St Louis Cardinals BUFF said...

So many blogs and only 10 numbers to rate them. I'll have to give you a 7 because you have good content but lack of quality posts.

Free Access To More Information Aboutinternet stock trading

1:32 AM  
Blogger Bloggy said...

I really liked your page and it is related to womens gold watch, until next time!

4:09 AM  
Blogger Katrina said...

This blog keeps things interesting for me. I do performance appraisals all day and it's pretty boring. I've thought about adding a blog to my sample performance appraisals site. I may do it soon.

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I just saw your comment about bead instructions jewelry making and I thought I mention you can make some fantasitc silver beads with Precious Metal Clay from Argentice. Thanks.

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, just happened to locate your blog on book christian publisher. I wanted to say thank you for having an informative blog like this. If you have a chance, please drop by my site. We provide fresh resources on book christian publisher. I will be sure and bookmark your site and return again. Thanks, Larry

3:20 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Hey, I really like the quality of your blog. Very interesting indeed!

I own a article software submission related site. It is mostly about article software submission information.

Come to see us when you get time.

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really like your el property spanish vicario blog site , my site www.discount-spanish-property.co.uk has lots of el property spanish vicario related resources

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sherry and I have been swingers for a long time and are interested in boy swinger. If you are interested in boy swinger then you should check out boy swinger

1:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog you have! I really enjoyed it. I heard of a great site that is giving away a free set of Nike Golf Clubs. I think your readers will enjoy it. Just click the link below and enter your Zip Code to see if you qualify!
Free Nike Golf Clubs!

1:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your spanish property search blog is great spanish property search

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

I LOVE you blog. I thought your visitor may also like to see this site on office toronto virtual. It's a good resource so!

Here's the site: office toronto virtual Info Site

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're right on track and not many people are willing to admit that they share your views. 4891135 fox fox matthew is an AWESOME place to discuss LOST.

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Nice blog on article software submission. I also have an interest in article software submission. If you are wanting to find more about article software submission, then I invite you to drop by article software submission

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about infertility medication and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site about infertility medication so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here! If you get a chance, please stop by infertility medication

3:19 PM  
Blogger Hoodia said...

Help me Dude, I think I'm lost..... I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw him in a car lot yesterday, which is really strange because the last time I saw him was in the supermarket. No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender". He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a San Diego cosmetic surgery doctor ,to fit into those blue suede shoes of yours. But Elvis said in the Ghetto nobody can afford a San Diego plastic surgery doctor. Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger. Then I'm gonna go round and see Michael Jackson and we're gonna watch a waaaay cool make-over show featuring some Tijuana dentists on the TV in the back of my Hummer. And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . . "You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on " Strange day or what? :-)

6:54 PM  
Blogger Girly Girl said...

If you want over 18 adults only dating then Swinger Dating is the site for you. Totally free too :)

2:39 PM  
Blogger TheDevilIsInTheDetails said...

Another against canadian coalition death penalty Resource... LifeLaw.org . A discussion forum for all that deals with such hot-button issues as against canadian coalition death penalty .

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's true, we're all a little bit lazy from time to time. And winter is coming. So you're right, as usual, it's time for murray snowthrower to make our life just a little bit easier!

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, I think you have a great blog on schiff prostate health, I will have book mark your site. If you have time, you may want to look at my health site, it's schiff prostate health

4:32 PM  
Blogger Antonio Hicks said...

I was just browsing various blogs as I was doing a search on the word poster, and I just wanted to say that I really like what you've done with your blog, even though it wasn't particularly related to what I searched for. I appreciate your postings, and your blog is a good example of how a blog should be done. I've only just recently started a Posters website - feel free to visit it when you get a chance if you wish. Much success, antonio.

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home